Message to tournament directors-make sure you take care of your customers. Who are your customers? Not the pros, or the dignitaries, or the coaches for that matter. The player who enters the tournament pays the freight. Here are several no-nos for tourney directors.
1. Put doubles on late at night-this guarantees the matches will run late late and someone has to pay club staff to stay late.
2. Schedule matches all neat-like one hour apart. An hour and 15 at least for matches should be allotted.
3. Mix skill divisions like A and Elite and then have doubles draws in each division. You will end waiting for doubles partners in two divisons instead of one to finish.
4. Do not charge the volunteer help. Unless they owe you for previous favors, try to comp the folks helping behind the scenes or their kids if they are playing. This good will pays off; trust me!
5. Ref the matches; to me it is a cop-out on no refs. Watching those no-ref matches are painful. Nobody knows the score and replays are plentiful-too plentiful. Oh and the doubles guy who stands in front of everyone and will not move is painful to play and watch.
6. Treat everyone like a VIP, not just the local legends. That unknown novice is tomorrow’s frequent flyer! I am sure there are many more things so feel free to add below