Power recipe! Want to improve your game? Get a personal trainer. Make sure it is a good personal trainer. Five Tips for good trainer shopping:
1. They are knowledgable about the demands of racquetball. Will never forget back in my open days a trainer saying “Wow light workout today huh?” I had just finished five games of racquetball and my legs were dead. The trainer had no idea how hard I had worked in those five games.
2. They switch up the workouts. If you know the same thing is coming every day you adapt physically and mentally. Changing exercises but working with the same muscle groups keeps the athlete engaged.
3. The demands use the same energy system as the sport as much as possible. That means 4-6 second bursts of footwork simulation that imitates the demands of racquetball.
4. They will take the time to get to know you. There are two types of trainers. Those who train clients and those who know people and train them. Think about that.
5. They will push you to do more than you think you can do. More importantly, on days when you least expect it, they will back off your work and know you need a break from the intensity as you approach the over-training threshold.