The no step drive serve can be effective! When we wrote the instructor’s manual a few years ago my colleagues were aghast that i wanted to write about the no step drive serve. Apparently that is blasphemy in the racquetball world. I was voted down on that as well as other fundamental truths of racquetball. Why no step? Here are some reasons-
1. Most obvious-fewer moving parts therefore higher percentage of accuracy.
2. If you serve near center or off left or right, closer to center court.
3. The difference and uniqueness of it. Nobody does the no step serve so it kind of messes with people when they first see it.
4. No tells–if done correctly it is hard to read what side the server is going.
5. A little movement of some sort or a crouch if you will adds a little frosting on this no step cake. That makes it even harder to read.
6. For beginners it is a serve that makes a ton of sense as it is easier to learn.
After the no step comes the one step.
Same advantages can be said about the one step.
Two step is what everyone does.
Now about that “hop” serve that everyone is imitating after playing my athletes……………