Back in the day we used to travel 8-10 hours via cramped cars to play pros we knew we could not beat. We wanted to see how we would do against the best. Fast forward today and local players search out easy tournaments for cash. “Why risk losing if you can win easy money?”Or so the thinking goes. What about getting better and learning your craft? Is winning or getting better at racquetball your goal?
Here is a suggestion for the local legends.
1. Play one or two pro tournaments per year. Instead of idolizing these guys, compete against them.
2. Get video of yourself and get a coach. Get better.
3. Stop idolizing pros and stop selling yourself short.
4. What do the pros do well that you need to improve upon? Find the answers to that question and get to work!
5. Do enter a few local tournaments you can win of course, but keep working to get better.
6. When you are all done and are my age and someone asks you how good you could have been, you will know the answer to that question.
Sadly, local legends playing for instant gratification will never know the answer to that question!